My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.6kennedys.com and update your bookmarks.

September 1, 2009

Malawi Time

Some things just take forever around here. The electrician came on
Thursday around 1:00 in the afternoon to fix our hot water heater. He
never actually made it into our house, though. He told me that he
would be here on Sunday to fix it. I asked him, why not tomorrow? He
said it was Saturday and it was his Sabbath. I asked, why not right
now? He explained that he had just come in on a bus from Lilongwe and
was tired, so he would see us on Sunday morning at 8:00.

On Sunday, he worked for about 30 minutes before realizing he would
need parts from Blantyre. "See you tomorrow!" he said as he walked
away from our gate a second time. To my surprise, Sunday evening he
returned with the part around 4:30 in the afternoon. I told him to
come in thinking we might get to take a warm shower. Nope. He was
tired and would be back tomorrow.

Hopefully, when he returns this morning, he will be able to fix the
hot water heater (geezer.) Cold showers are really getting old.
However, we are very thankful to have running water, as this is
certainly a luxury around here. The water tank and solar pump are
supposed to be installed at Esther's House soon, so the workers there
will soon get to experience what this luxury is like.

PICTURES:
Yesterday we attended church at Esther's House. It was a wonderful
service where many of the choirs from local villages sang for us. The
kids lasted for the first hour, but Erin took them outside before the
message started. Some of the orphans from the local village, Madzangi,
were outside the gates. They came in and our kids started trying to
teach them English. Easton enjoyed playing with Precious, one of the
boys staying at the orphanage.

Addis is sitting next to Hope, a little girl that Pastor Phiri adopted
two years ago. Her parents died in a car accident, so the local
village headman was going to kill the baby because no one in the
family wanted her. This is a common practice, unfortunately. Hope is a
perfect example of why we need Esther's House.

8 comments:

racheljenae said...

OK, so i just got caught up on your blog! Wow... i was so filled with excitement that you guys are there and for two months!!! I can't believe it!!! Erin I'm so proud of you, well all of you! God is so good...what an awesome opportunity to go into! I'm praying for you guys!!! My brother, Caleb, was just in Ethiopia for a month in May! I am trying to get over there next spring... i will have to find out if its anywhere near where you guys are now! love you guys!

Superchikk said...

Wow. I hope you guys get hot water soon!

And I must say, Addis's expression in that picture is priceless. I'm glad your kids are doing well - I know that makes things just a bit easier.

Jill said...

I would so come over there right now if I could! Oh my word!!! And I totally get it about the "Malawi Time"! Zimbabwe was the same way!! :)

PreschoolMommy said...

what an amazing journey! I love seeing the pictures! Really brings it to life for those of us at home who are praying!

April, Steve & Lowery said...

Hope you all get hot water soon! I love all of the pictures and was so glad to see the kids making some friends. I can't believe that about Hope. Why can't you just bring Steve and I home some of those orphans??!!

Ross and Lisa Green said...

Ditto on bringing me home one of those precious babies! Love to see the pictures. Praying hot water and internet is fixed soon!

Unknown said...

Zach and Erin, I hope you both are doing well...
Your kids look like they have grown since your last post of them. It is great to see them making friends.
Mica and I will take one or however many you can legally bring of the babies as well, just pack 'em up and bring him or her or several back to us. I really wish it were that easy.

Still praying for you all..

Josh and Christine said...

Your pictures are absolutely adorable!! I have to admit that I check your blog all the time to get all the updates! Josh and I miss you and your family here in Arkansas, but we are so so grateful that things are going well in Africa! We are praying for you and thinking about you always!! Love you all!