My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.6kennedys.com and update your bookmarks.

January 18, 2009

Verbal Curiosity

It seems almost simultaneous. The moment you announce you are adopting internationally, many people around you lose all common sense in exchange for verbal curiosity. Key word in the last sentence is "verbal." If they would keep their curiosity to themselves, it would save us all a little embarrassment. But they don't, and in the process we get to laugh. A lot.

So here is a non-comprehensive list of some of the funniest/awkward things people have said concerning our adoption journey. The names of those who said the following have been omitted to protect their good name. If you are on the list, don't feel bad. You are not alone.

One time we were at a park and Addis would'nt keep leaves out of his mouth. Every time we put him down, he put a leaf in. A friend at the park with us asked, "Is that what he is used to eating in Ethiopia?" Yes, we found him roaming free on the savannah foraging for berries. He is a baby, not a herbivore.

Ethiopia is in Africa, right? So is he going to be (pause because they aren't sure they are supposed to be saying it out loud) you know, African, black? Generally, this question is posed as informational, as if we haven't considered that we will be raising an african american son.

Speaking of african american, that particular term was difficult for a friend once. "No, he will be african" he told me. "And American," I added. "Yeah, I guess. But it's still not the same." Not sure why that mattered, but it did during that bout of verbal curiosity.

There are various poorly planned stereotypical comments made, generally surrounding sports. Football is the topic of conversation that usually draws out these awkward moments. I have a standard answer for this one that I will pass along for the moment that it comes up in your conversations. "Yes, and next we are going to adopt an asian baby because we really want an olympic gymnast."

And, my all time favorite, "will he speak english?" This question has been asked in a hundred different ways. "It will be interesting to see what he speaks once he starts talking." "I wonder if he can understand anything you are saying." "He will probably need some speech therapy to get caught up." My general response is, "when your baby was 8 months old, what did they speak?"

Alright fellow blog friends. I know we are not the only ones with stories, so please pass along your funniest moments in the comments.

UPDATE:
Annie reminded me of one of our all time favorites in the comments section. It has been asked by at least three people at this point. "Do you plan on telling him he is adopted?" My answer is usually a polite, "Yes." What I want to say is, "No, we prefer him to think his mother had an affair and we don't want him to know his biological father."

14 comments:

The Black's said...

Greetings from Texas! Oh, I am so laughing, b/c I think I remember the question I asked showing my complete ignorance at the time. :) HA! cute post!

kristina said...

wow! those are some fantastic comments. Its really funny what people say when it invovles another country.

When i first moved to England, i had a co-worker ask me what language they spoke...in England. Um..english?....seemed pretty easy to me!

but i think my favourite is when a south african friend of mine was visting me in the states. one of my friends liked his accent so asked where he was from. South african, he answered. then she actually said "south african. hmm, which state is that in?" really? wow.

Sara Neufeld said...

That is truly awesome. My favorite is what language will he speak. :)

Angela said...

My all time favorite is, "Is he adopted?"

Annie said...

...or...are you going to tell him he's adopted? :-) Thank the Lord you guys have a sense of humor!

Heather K said...

well....hello from British Columbia...been reading for awhile now but I don't think I've left a comment yet. I had to after reading this post.
We are also in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. My hubby's aunt said to me-"have you thought about the possibility of the child you're getting, having witch doctor genes? Someone I know adopted 2 kids from Africa and one was good the other became a drug addict and spent 2 years in rehab..so you just never know what you might get!"
yeah....I told her that I know people who had the same problem with their biological kids...but yeah...people sure feel free to say stupid things don't they?! oh well...I've read that we should expect this and that we need to be gracious. So I try to be.. :) But do you find that alot of people don't say anything because (it's obvious) they don't agree with what you're doing?
Anyway have been enjoying reading you blog
Heather

mama becca said...

we've had ALL those comments as well! crazy stuff. My saddest one, so far, though, is surrounding our new president. All politics aside, someone asked me how I felt about having a "brown" person be president. I said, well, I think that there are many positives and I'm choosing to be excited about that and how this great step has been taken in our nation. And the person said "well, your son won't be so happy to grow up and find out that a brown man messed up our country."
I held back tears and said "that was very racist. I have to stop talking now."
We've had a few others like that, and one person said "it's amazing that you can adopt a black child. I could never do that."
So there you have it... some serious ones. It's been hard, to say the least. I'm praying that we, as adoptive parents, can support each other through these harder times.
Great post!
becca

ashley said...

so funny and soooo true. we have had pretty much all of those, multiple times. My nephew did ask us that if he cut himself would he bleed red? It has been my favorite. To his defense, he is only 4! Really love this post, so funny!

graceling said...

Someone asked me if my ex-husband (who I have been divorced from for 5 years) would take Anna for summer vacation when he took Abigail. That was a real "huh?" moment, and not really so much about her being african/ethiopian/black as it was about her being adopted/not having a dad.

Anonymous said...

The funniest verbage, I told Catherine, Sophie looked just like her and Easton added and Grammy Addis looks just like me. Not sure what part of toupe beige Easton doesnt get. Post the pictures!!!!! Love Grammy

Amy said...

These are hilarious... and I have heard most of them myself. Though we seem to get that we are hoping for Silas to be an NBA player. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh! Those are so great! Love the "Are you going to tell him he is adopted?".....Seriously!

I have been asked many times if our baby was going to be black. Uh...do you know anything about AFRICA! :) People are so funny.

Kristi (from Texas, waiting on our little girl from Ethiopia)
www.blessedpauls.blogspot.com

Tyson and Lisa said...

wow...do people not think before they speak?!? I love the comment you made after being asked what language he'll speak. :)

The Lombard Clan said...

Wow! that made me laugh, people really do say stupid, funny things. My favorite was the "what language will he speak?" and "are you going to tell him he's adopted?" I absolutely love your response to both of them, ha ha.