What I appreciated most about the book was the raw honesty. I felt like I was reading my own journal as they detailed their experience while in Ethiopia. I only wish I could have read it before I left, as it would have prepared me for so many life altering experiences.

I had no idea what visiting the orphanages would do to me. I initially thought it would be fun to see the kids and play with them, bringing a smile for the day. I did not expect to see Addis' eyes in theirs, an experience Amy describes in detail. She writes:
"I could see Silas at 10 years old, with holes in his jeans and lice in his hair. I could see him at 18, with no education, no marketable skill, and no job prospects. Through such glimpses I felt more full the gravity of our decision to adopt."I wish I could have been more prepared...

I had not processed what meeting Addis' birth mother might be like. Ashes to Africa dives into the deep feelings that you don't expect. Feelings of guilt and great sadness as you see the final goodbyes. Then the process your heart and mind go through in the hours after as feelings of gratitude and love flood back in.
"Part of me felt the rightness of adoption, the rightness of Hermela's courage and sacrifice. The other part of me felt the the wrongness of adoption, the wrongness of broken families and abject poverty."I wish I could have been more prepared...
This memoir is so important to both the adoption community and the world of Christians who have no idea what it means to care for "the least of these." If you are alive, you should read it. (I tried to condense this down to certain groups that should read it, but wasn't successful, hence the all inclusive mandate.) Just make sure you start reading in the morning and not at 11:30 at night.
fromashestoafrica.com
6 comments:
I read it, too, and loved it!
Oh Yay! I cannot WAIT to read it!!
Thanks so much for the words! I am so glad you all enjoyed it... I am so ready to go back to Ethiopia!!!!!! But, will WAIT!
Addis' eyes.. seriously? Amazing.
Kennedy family,
Thank you for endorsing our little memoir. I'm thankful for your journey of grace and awakening, and hope that you will receive ample opportunities to share your story - and the tensions you feel within your heart.
I celebrate knowing that you are out there...and that you are hungry to live a life for the kingdom.
Grace and peace.
Josh
Great book! Our court date is in May and my husband and I are already struggling with the anticipation of meeting our kids' mother. We really want to meet her and yet we cannot fathom what it will feel like. So thankful for Josh and Amy's transparency! Gorgeous picture!!!
Hey Kennedy's! Thank you so much for stopping by and introducing yourselves. My husband and I grew up in NWA. We moved about 11 years ago, but all of our family is still in the area. We grew up at FBCS and my husband interned in the student ministry for about 4 years. Your Pastor is still a dear friend and one of my husband's mentors.
We have known J. Mills since she was in junior high. We've known her husband for quite a while because of our ministry connections, but have gotten to know him better in the last couple of years. He actually came to Orlando a few months ago and spoke to our students. We will spend a week together next month at Metro, along with the Smith's and Trueblood's.
When we were home for Christmas, we had lunch with the Swain's and I remember her telling me about your family. We have always known that ministry world is small, but are quickly finding out that adoption world is also.
Post a Comment