My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.6kennedys.com and update your bookmarks.

February 6, 2008

America's Ugly Export

I ran across this article in Christianity Today that infuriated me. The prosperity gospel has made it's way to the poorest of the poor, who are being told to give all they have to "God" and he will give them 10 fold in money, possessions, and good fortune.

It is nothing more than idolatry, worshiping the gifts instead of the giver. Here in America, many christians (myself included) just laugh at the pleas for money on the BPN (Bad Preacher Network) without every considering it's global impact. It is one thing if Betty from Alma sends in her $200 she was going to use for a new sewing machine, but it is all together different when people who make $2 a day are asked to give $200.

Americans should be taking the lead to get this message off the air and expose their lies. It is a lie that is spreading to the poorest of the poor. Those who Jesus called us to protect. In fact, if you believe Matthew 25, then it IS Jesus who is being manipulated with this message.

Someone sent me this video from John Piper that communicates these thoughts more eloquently and with more conviction than I. Watch and be changed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I am not sure if you will even remember me...but its kristina farabough (well now williams) from JBU! I saw this link on daniel and gretchen site and thought i would check it out. Wow! congrats on the kids! looks like you all are doing fantastic! just wanted to say hello. all the best to you both, and your growing family! :)

Unknown said...

WOW. Amen! Preach it Brother Zach!!

This is so interesting...AJ & I have been talking a lot about this subject lately. I am reading, "When Heaven Weeps" and just got done with "The Martyr's Song." It talks a lot about God calling us to suffer as Jesus suffered.

Amy said...

Good stuff. Good stuff.

This video makes me think of this blog.
www.cold-water-news.blogspot.com

Have you looked at this? This sweet husband and wife were missionaries in Ethiopia...they have one adopted girl from Ethiopia, and one adopted boy from domestic. They are young and a beautiful family. The wife tragically passed away.... The husband is living this stuff out. Look at the blog, it is moving.

Rebecca said...

yikes! Crazy to see the global impact. I've been naive to that part of it. Makes my heart so sad!